Aye, look. There's a new foldy boi in town, but this one comes from the lords of Android themselves. Say hello to the Pixel Fold, Google's first foldable phone that has been leaking for millennia. And good lord, it looks far better than what we had anticipated.
It's wider than the conventionally tall foldable phones out there, and also has thick bezels at the top and bottom. That might look like an eye sore, but those bezels really offer a great grip when you're using it like a tablet. Also, when your phone costs as much as $1,799 (aka Rs. 1,47,410 aka enough to buy a Royal Enfield bike), you better have a forkin good grip on it.
It's a first-fen foldable phone by Google, so the company isn't taking any chances. The front and rear sides are protected by Corning Gorilla Glass Victus. The frame is made out of stainless steel, while the hinge parts also rely on mirror-polished stainless steel.
Notably, when the phone shuts close, there is no gap between each half, while the whole package offers IPX8-rated protection. It's not the best, but still something good to have. Just don't take your Pixel Fold for a swim, or sand drifting,!
Following is a brief overview of what the Pixel Fold brings to the table:
- Outer 5.8-inch (2092 x 1080) OLED screen with 120Hz refresh rate
- Inner 7.5-inch (2208 x 1840) flexible OLED display with 120Hz refresh rate
- 4821 mAh battery with 30W wired charging and wireless charging support
- 12GB RAM
- 128GB / 256GB storage
- Google Tensor G2 processor
- 48MP main camera + 10.8MP ultrawide camera + 10.8MP telephoto camera with 5x optical zoom
- 9.5MP selfie camera on the front + 8MP selfie camera on the inside
- Magic Eraser, Photo Unblur, Face Unblur, Top Shot, Portrait Light, Live HDR+, 4K capture at 60fps from the front and rear cameras
Slo-mo capture at 240fps
The Pixel Fold comes in two colors – Obsidian and Porcelain – but it looks like the fancy device will be limited to a few markets only. So far, we haven't heard a word about an official launch in the Indian market. Sigh. But hey, just look at this cute chonkster at the front and shed tears about not taking birth as one of Elon Musk's dozen babies!